Pages

Thursday 6 December 2012

Ten years

That's what they tell you when you talk about going into any kind of freelance business. It takes at least ten years until you can reap some fruits. Well, right about now it's going to be ten years since I decided to get over the usual excuses and draw. I took some months to reacquaint myself with techniques I had forgotten, and spent the year 2003 drawing , drawing... and never really stopped.

In that time I have published six children books, two of which self-published. And made one art book. Not too bad I'd say. That's some fruits, even though I am not exactly going to leave the day jobs.

As every year when things look to be on the edge of the razor and near a turning point, I feel a little lost as to where to look next. This year has been a bit slow, as if I had burned out the muse with my art book and had to wait for her to re-kindle.

My main project is on hold because I've also finished another book, but I'll be getting to work again, I'm taking my time. Meanwhile I have gathered materials, and might add some more, and I'll finally sent new portfolios to children books editors. I've also sent my entries for Bologna 2013.

And to mark this point I've started to do some of these "draw this again" memes. That is to re-visit an old idea or theme. I personally can't really "see" the progress, it's really hard to judge your own work. But I sure can "feel" it. I feel so much more in charge of the pencils.... still no idea what to do with colours though. But I feel like I am going somewhere.

OK this is a lot older, almost twenty years between these two. But I am going back to my old favourite subject: Dragons in rock bands.




No comments:

Post a Comment